Friday 11 May 2012

Making the Bridesmaid's Dresses

First thing I did was choose the bridesmaid dress fabric, I wanted  them to wear all of my favourite colours,  and as mis-matched bridesmaids are now the 'in'  thing,  then I could get away with it.....Years ago I believe they were called 'sweet pea'  weddings......I chose Lilac, Purple, Yellow and pink  for my bridesmaid colours....all the colours of my favourite flowers....Sweet Peas.

I ordered the fabrics from Thailand......Thai silk Taffeta.....
I ordered 2 metres per dress.....and in total this cost me £60  approx.....£15  per dress.

I then needed linings, zips,  threads  and just 'stuff'   .....bits and bobs.....all together it came to a total of £100.

Here's the fabrics I bought...
.





Once the fabrics arrived I got to work.  making up the  dresses.
Two Girls are wearing bandeau necklines, and two are wearing halter necklines.
They are all wearing box pleated skirts..


Always make sure you get as close to the colour fabric,  in thread.....I use Guiterman always, I have oused others over the years,  but this is by far the best out there



 I wanted to add a little bit of shoulder interest , so made a box pleat there.....I really like it. 


 The front is finished


 The back is a deep V......


 I added an invisible zip


 And lined it throughout...


Here is the first one finished..This one is for my daughter Stacey...My Maid of Honour.  


 I added a self bow with a little sparkley brooch in the centre


The yellow one is in the same style as the Dusty Pink, and this dress is for Carly, my Fiance's daughter




 The Lilac dress is halter neck and will be for Cassie,  my Fiance's oldest daughter
                                   
                                     

I made the dress as per the pattern but didn't really like the back,  I thought it looked a bit high.


 So I lowered the back and it's much better


The finished Dress



 This is the beginning of the purple dress,  Halter neck like the Lilac one.  This dress is for Ami,  my sons girlfriend....I am still working on this dress so will update when its finished...


 Although not entirely finished,  here are all the dresses in their various stages of completion.....just to see the colours together....



I am thinking about removing the bows and having a slight change.  I have fabric left over from my own dress, so I think it wouldlook nice if I added an Ivory satin sash, maybe only 2inches wide, and then an Ivory bow to go with it,  then also make them all a clutch bag in Ivory, and these coloured bows I have already made,  I can attach to the bags......

To be continued.....

Just found these GORGEOUS  shoes for the girls.....Ivory lace......New Look  £25!   
All the girls love them,  and they are available in heels or flats,  and I think one of my girls prefers flats  so at least they will match up.  


I intend to make clutch bags for the girls....like this, but maybe use the bows i already made for the front.....although I do really like the flower....


Edited to add my version of the above bag....



These are some of the designs I have looked at for the sashes for their dresses...I have yet to make a definate decision on it.....





                                                 




OK  so I had a major dress design change!   
Although I liked the dresses,  I didnt LOVE  them, So I started again with a whole new batch of Duchess Satin fabric this time.  Its so great to work with.  I decided to make the girls a full circle skirt added on to a drop waisted V shaped bodice.  Then I added an Ivory satin bow that I also made.  









I am much happier with these dresses,  they have turned out  exactly how I had hoped. The others were fine, and fit the girls OK  but they didnt exite me. I love the new styles and they were so much easier to do.  A full circle skirt only needs hemming as there is no seams....Well I made a seam at the back for the zip  but that's the only one.  
Obviously buying all new fabric.....another £64.....hasn't made this dressmaking lark as cheap as I would have hoped for,  but STILL  is only £128 in total for 4 dresses.  The other dresses wont go to waste either.  I will keep the putple one for myself,  my daughter can have the pink one to just wear anytime.  and the other 2 can be sold on Ebay.....I was thinking should I or shouldnt I re-make the dresses,  but I am so glad I did,  as they are so much nicer.  They not only look better,  but the fabric is just gorgeous.  
                           
                                               

























No comments:

Post a Comment